07 September 2009

Mind you, we are all immies. I'm 5th generation on one side, 1880s from eastern europe. And my ancestors would have had bad english, strange customs, possibly large families (though probably not; not catholics). Worked in textiles, farming, sales. My dad and aunts are lawyers. I'm a lawyer, my bro a mega quant at a credit card company, or consulting on that kind of work now. Another in jail occasionally.

I don't harbor problems with legal immies and I sympathize with wetbacks --but the
volume is so large, I do wonder about costs. And while Rand wanted open borders (complete meritocracy, completely free market for labor) I have some doubts.

Actually I like recent immies so long as they know the BoR.
What is the point of admitting vietnamese if they can't stomache dissent?

Am I becomming a crusty old fart? I don't think so. I hope not.

Washington DC is more a hazard than wannabe ag workers jumping the border.
Legalizing pharms would eliminate a huge amount of crime and smuggling.

Smuggling special nuclear materials, fer instance.

I also worry about Mexico exporting criminals, or them being attracted by
the US. That probably justifies a border role even in lib utopias.