05 December 2009

Saturday. Hiked to the dam. Found out what happens to fish in a drying
pool: they get eaten.

Rightnow: cat sitting next to me (his choice when he saw me writing),
beer, gonna rain tomorrow finally, cooking salmon & squash. Salmon
from Japanese market that I get an occasional bento from (and they sell
cheap skin-heavy thin cuts that I like, probably waste to them). Squash
from the local korean market, Zion, which has fantastic selection and
prices. Not so much dairy :-) [BTW I'm eastern euro hebraic from
new england so its pretty alien still.]

Fish get eaten. And if their tiny pool is surrounded by mud you get amazing
tracks of everyone who feasts. Saw giant egret, racoon or opossum, cats.
Saw a deer track where the deer got stuck in mud; might have been chased by
dog, or those might be independent.

And I suppose vultures would eat the fish if they flopped out and died.

So, I should have had more faith in bio, no need to worry about fish dying.
One species' tradgedy is another's feast.