20 January 2010

Evil virus at work. Looked at a youtube video, it did some kind of redirect
with IE, and infected the system pretty well. A lookup to a chinese domain.
Something like competitionweb.cn, I'll look it up. (I put it in my hosts
file to mess with it) Also inserted chars into the binaries and dlls
I found, in program files malware defender. Which has a few obviously
asian malformed messages.

Evil shit. I had to, in addition to the above, replace ie with IE8.
Various other scanwares and removal tools did not deal with it.
IE8 did and now the system runs as snappily as it ever did.

I then set ie8 at its maximum security settings so that it couldn't be hijacked as before.

Before, i think IE itself got corrupted, and every time i tried messing with its executable it got rewritten with the original. A nasty technique where one code watches another and fixes it, and the two programs are symmetric, ie each can restore each other.

I HATE javascript and M$ entire make everything programmable and insecure strategy.